Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Detaching From Results

11 years ago, violating every law of dating, I was foolish enough to give a great woman a book as a gift on our first date, and she married me anyway! The book was Deepak Chopra’s Seven Spiritual Laws of Success. The thing that impressed me most about the book was a sequence of two laws: The Law of Intention and Desire, followed immediately by the Law of Detachment from Results. I read that second chapter with some disbelief: This is America! You can’t detach from results! Then I read the chapter again, and over some time, it began to sink in. We can only do that which is aligned with our intentions and desires, then let go, and whatever the results will be, will be.

In my 20’s, I had an ulcer. The MD told me to make a 3 x 5 card with 3 words, and pin it over the light switch on my office door. The three words: WHAT IS, IS.

As a child, I learned the serenity prayer from a small plaque on the wall at our home: Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

In 2009, I expect to use ALL these pieces of learning! Best wishes to all of you.
 
Blog Directory Lijit Search Blog Directory Blogging Fusion Blog Directory BlogRankings.com Business Blogs - Blog Rankings blogarama.com Blog Directory Blog Directory Add to Technorati Favorites blog directory